It is the job of the Election Commissioner to ensure Alberta’s election laws (the Election Act and the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act) are complied with and enforced. To do this job, the Election Commissioner has the authority to:
• conduct investigations
• enter into compliance agreements
• issue letters of reprimand
• levy administrative penalties
• apply to the Court for an injunction (during an election period)
• recommend prosecutions
• receive complaints regarding government advertising during election periods and by-election periods
The Election Commissioner has jurisdiction over provincial election laws only. This does not include non-compliance or enforcement matters relating to municipal or federal elections.
© 2018 Office of the Alberta Election Commissioner - All Rights Reserved.